Kelcclay

 

On Saturday Gabi ad I decided that we would head out to Seoul International fireworks festival. Now, I should say that I am not a huge fireworks fan. I don’t really like the pop sound they make and I guess I’m just not as easily impressed as other people are by them. I always expect so much from the idea of brilliant lights in the sky and I am usually disappointed.  However, I felt that I should at least see one fireworks display while I am here in Korea if for no other reason than comparison.


So Gabi and I headed out to Yeouido Han River Citizen Park. We got there by taxi and got dropped off at the perfect spot. We walked down a little path and were right there! There were tons of people there playing in the water, riding bikes, sitting and eating, flying kites… the whole vibe was just amazing. Not to mention music was playing and there were little performances going on throughout the park.



We walked a little ways towards the 63 building (not super close) and found what we thought would be a good spot for the show.


Well, turns out the show was featured directly in front of the 63 building and bridge by it. While we could see the big fireworks the little ones featured by the bridge were barely visible. This was a pretty big disappointment to me because I’d read about it and was hoping to see the whole production.







It also meant that we had to turn sideways, rather than facing the water, to see the show, making it not super comfortable.




However, the fireworks were very good. They had some spectacular ones that were colored fireworks and cascading fireworks combined. Those were by far my favorites.



One thing I did find interesting about the fireworks show was that it wasn’t one long show but a bunch of almost mini shows. It was like they did the firework displays in sets or bunches, so to speak.




We stuck around for three sets but then we decided we were all fireworked out (and cold to boot) so we headed out before the majority of the crowd.




Overall it was a pretty good show. I can’t say I was blown away but then I never really am from firework shows so that’s not saying much. I do wish I had known where the fireworks were going to be positioned so we could have had a better view but hey, you live and learn right? I did absolutely love the park and plan to go back very very soon! I wished I lived closer because that would probably be a daily visit for me if I did! If you live near Han River Citizen Park and have never been or are just looking for a nice place to relax by the water, you should totally check it out!


T&S
      K.C.


Labels: , edit post
4 Responses
  1. jersuji Says:

    These are gorgeous.
    I like it.
    Fireworks are colorful and vivid light.

    but,

    Newspapers said 1.2 million people crowded in Seoul for watching fireworks.

    I think if you had rode taxi again, you were stuck up in a traffic jam.
    How did you turn back your home? rode a subway?


  2. Kelcclay Says:

    actually, we did take a taxi but we left before the whole thing was over... so perhaps we got lucky. It wasn't too bad tho :-)


  3. Hi Kelsey! My name is Janice and I was surfing on the internet and found your site. I currently live in Napa, CA. Anyway, I'm really interested in visiting Korea but I don't know the language at all. Do you have any advice. I hope to hear from you soon, that is, if you're not too busy.

    Thanks :)

    Janice


  4. Hi,

    I really like your blog!

    I wondered if you'd be interested in being featured on a Korean Travel Website? Here's the link to it:

    English Travel Information, Top Places to go, Things to see and do in South Korea

    We started the site as a pilot, with just Gangwon-do, but it's been so successful that we're launching version two really soon with information on the whole of Korea.

    We'd love to feature some information from your blog - we would link to you and hopefully increase traffic to your blog also... See Contribute for details on what's in it for you :-)

    Hope you like the website! Look forward to hearing from you!

    Claire (site creator)