Kelcclay
After chuseok I still got to experience some very traditional Korean customs.




For Chuseok, my school took the kids to a traditional etiquette school. It was held in an actual historic school near one of the palaces. It was a Confucius school which holds a ginkgo tree that is almost six hundred years old.




For etiquette school, all of the kids had to wear their traditional Korean clothing. Well, it turned out that so did the teachers. Eek! So I got to wear my first hanbok. Unfortunately, it was not quite big enough and I looked more like a red tomato than a regal Korean.




Oh well. It was actually quite fun being able to be in a historic building while dressed in traditional clothing. I could almost feel myself transported back into time. At least I could have if it hadn’t been for the 100 yelling hyper kids around!


The first thing we learned when we got there was how to bow. First the boys learned their bows and then it was the girl’s turns. We learned two different bows, one used only for special circumstances and one used more on a regular basis. I also learned that you only ever bow twice when you are bowing to the dead. Good to know! Lol.





After our bowing lesson, we got to learn two traditional Korean games. The first reminding me of ring toss, while the second reminded me of hacky-sack. Both were equally challenging and fun!





We then had a big tug-a-war contest between our ECC and Sanggye ECC. Yes that’s right Sanggye ECC, we dominated you! (Sure sure, we had like twenty more kids than you, but who’s counting! Just kidding…sort of….)




After the games we took a short lunch break. Let me tell you, sitting on the ground in a full out hanbok was not very easy, but I make it work.



After lunch we got one more lesson. We went to a different section of the academy and got to sit at traditional dinner “tables”. We then learned both how to make a traditional sweet and how to eat properly while in company.

When eating with company, you should hold one hand in front of your mouth while you put food into your mouth and chew it. This is so that no one sees you chew and is considered a polite courtesy.




After our last lesson of the day it was time to head back. All of the kids were wiped out, as were the teachers!


Overall etiquette school was a really interesting experience and glimpse into Korean culture. I’m really glad that I now know a bit more about Korea’s history and culture!





T&S
      K.C.
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Kelsey! You're gorgeous! I miss you so much. I wish I could afford to come to Korea to see you.