Kelcclay
One kind of food that I have missed terribly since I left America is Mexican food. We ate some version of Mexican food pretty regularly at home and when I got to Seoul there was no Mexican food in site. This caused me to go in search of Mexican food in Seoul and here is what I have found!

There are four main categories of Mexican food I have found here and I’m going to tell you where to find each and every one of them!

The first category is expensive Mexican: On the Border
 The only nice "sit down" Mexican restaurant here in Seoul is On the Border. Yes, I know that is an American chain restaurant and in America we would totally pass it up for something way more authentic but hey, you get what you can here in Seoul.



 There are two On the Border locations that I know of here in Seoul: Coex Mall and Sinchon. I have been to both and both are good. I find you get more generous portions at the one in Sinchon and the service is a bit better. The best thing about On the Border is the all you can eat salsa and chips. This is the only restaurant here in Seoul that has that. The other nice thing about On the Border is that the menu is the most extensive you’ll find here in Seoul, at least in my limited experience.

Next up is a more medium price option: Dos Tacos
Dos Tacos offers nachos, soft tacos and hard tacos. However, they are most known for their wide range of burritos. You can get everything from a bean and cheese burrito to a fajita burrito. I usually get the hard or soft tacos and a set of three will put you back 10,500 won before getting a drink. Dos Tacos is located in Gangnam and Hongdae. It’s not really my favorite but it’s a quick fix for a craving.




Then there is the cheap category of Mexican food: Taco Bell
 Just this past summer the very first Taco Bell opened up here in Korea. Located in itaewon across from the Hamilton hotel, Taco Bell is my recommendation for cheap Mexican here in Seoul. Hard Tacos are 1,500won a piece and there are several different combo meal options. I’m not going to lie, this really hits the spot but I was a fan of Taco Bell back in the states as well. Yummmm.


Lastly is the do-it-yourself category!
I have done this as well. Recently soft taco wraps have become available in grocery stores, such as Lotte Mart and Home Plus. As well as a “golden medley” shredded cheese, which is a combo or white and yellow cheese, perfect for tacos! I recently made my own for the first time here in Korea and it turned out quite well. I bought ground beef and made my own taco seasoning. Then I used left over taco bell sauce packets for the sauce! They were really good! I also made my own salsa :-)

I have heard of some other Mexican food places but have yet to try them out. If I get a chance and they are worth writing about, you’ll probably be seeing a part two to this blog. However, for now, this is what’s what in the Mexican food market here in Seoul. I hope it helps anyone who craves Mexican food as much as I do!

T&S
       K.C.
Labels: , edit post
5 Responses
  1. lol! now you make me want some mexican food!!! so sad! let's go next week!!


  2. Kelcclay Says:

    lol! sounds good to me! i'm always up for mexican food! Actually, i made my own taco nachos for lunch today! lol. You know, we should have a movie day sometime and make our own mexican food. lol.


  3. Evan Says:

    Ahh, tell me about it! I seriously miss cheap, hole in the wall mexican places.

    On the Border does a good job, but it's wayyy more expensive than mexican food is supposed to be!

    FYI: there is an On the Border location in the Times Square Mall over by Mullae-dong, too.


  4. Unknown Says:

    4 On the Border's in Korea, Coex, Sinchon, Times Square Mall and Apgujeong.

    Also for a authentic taste all made from fresh ingredients check out Casa Loco in Yeouido.


  5. Stephe Says:

    You found Mexican food in Seoul?

    *mouth hanging open*

    Awesome.

    I've recently had my first taste of bulgogi and pork tenderloin and kimchi here in my home city (Atlanta), and can't wait to chow down on some more... but knowing I could have a taco in Seoul is just the thing to have me on the first plane. Heheh. Very cool.