Kelcclay
Well, I went to Dr. Fish with my Grandma and Mom a couple of weeks ago and decided it was time to do a blog about it!
Dr. Fish is one of my favorite chill past times in Korea. Now, it is true that Dr. Fish is not native to Korea or only popular in Korea. In fact, Dr. Fish is now even available in America. However, I had never done Dr. Fish before coming to Korea so it is a special Korean experience to me :-)

When you decide to do Dr. Fish you must first find a Dr. Fish café. Now, there used to be a TON of these cafes in Korea, but it’s a dying fad now and therefore they are harder to find. I go to the one in Gangnam. I can’t tell you it’s name but I can tell you that it is located out of Gangnam station, ex 6 (CORRECTION - this is now EXIT 10, due to the connection of line 2 and Sinbundang Line)and is just past the BSX. If you pass the Teenie Weenie store you’ve gone too far. It is on the second floor in the same building as BSX and a pharmacy, so look for this symbol:


When you arrive at the café you first order a drink. My all time favorite, and what I always order now, is their royal milk tea. You also have to tell them that you would like to do Dr. Fish and they add an additional 2,000 won to your bill.



You get a buzzer and sit down while they make your drinks. Once the buzzer goes off you go and get both your drinks and an empty plate with an empty paper cup and a cup of butter and jam. This is for the bread bar located in the café. The bread bar usually had between three and five different types of bread and several toasters are available if you prefer your bread toasted. They also have coffee and flower tea available for you to enjoy in addition to the drink you ordered, which is what the empty paper cup is for.


The décor of the café is both chic and cozy to me. With rich colors such as orange, magenta and red and chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, it’s easy to see why it feels so chic. Not to mention the Asian influenced wooden flooring, brick walls and wall length windows letting in lots of light and allowing you a nice view of Gangnam. While at the same time the chairs are very plush and comfortable and the café has several different types of seating; making it very cozy.


After you are all finished with your drink it is now time to get your pedicure via Dr. Fish. Now, if the café is busy, which it often is, you sometimes need to wait until the attendant comes and tells you it is your turn to go. However, if it is not a busy day, you can merely let them know you are ready and walk up to the Dr. Fish area at your leisure.

When you go up to the Dr. Fish area, you fisrt remove your shoes before walking onto the platform.




You then wash your feet in a small basin so that you are not putting any extra dirt into the fish water and also so you don’t feed the fish anything unhealthy. LOL

After you have washed your feet it is now time for the feeding frenzy. Unlike anything I have ever experienced, you sit down on either side of this long rectangle pool filled with little fish. You then proceed to put your feet into the water and the fish have a great time nibbling at you feet and eating any dry skin you may have.

It really does tickle something awful at first, but now that I have done it several times it just feels like I have little jets hitting my feet. It’s like getting a pedicure and a foot massage all in one!


Now, for your 2,000 won you will get 15 minutes on the weekend or 20 minutes during the week with your feet in the pool. Then, afterwards, you have to rewash your feet in the same foot basin as before.

Before you go, they spray a mist on your feet. I’m not entirely sure what this mist is for, however, if I had to guess, I would guess it is an antibacterial spray, killing off anything you might have gotten on you in the pool. I’ve also had people tell me they think it is a vitamin spray for your feet. So, hard to say, but either way, it couldn’t hurt!

You then put your shoes back on and you’re Dr. Fish experience is all finished!!

I highly recommend going and doing Dr. Fish. I find it so relaxing and unique at the same time! Not to mention the delicious royal milk tea!




I know that everyone I’ve gone with has always had a fun time! Some people have found it harder than others to let little fish nibble on their feet *cough*grandma*cough* But it always makes for a great time and I especially like to go there in the AM for tea and breakfast bread and jam!

Overall, I highly recommend going and doing Dr. Fish. I find it so relaxing and unique at the same time! (Not to mention the delicious royal milk tea!)







T & S
K.C.
Labels: , , , edit post