Kelcclay
Now I’ve always been an animal lover my whole life. I’ve always had pets at home and I just have a weak spot in my heart for animals, so coming to Korea and leaving my kitty at home was pretty hard. I missed having that presence in my life and having that constant loving companion.


Before even coming to Korea I had looked into volunteering at an animal shelter or fostering while I was here. I had read that there was both a huge stray and rescue population of dogs and cats. The laws here in Korea can be a bit behind the time and it wasn’t long ago that if a neighbor complained about your dog barking too much, you’d have to legally get rid of it. Not to mention people get animals and decide they are too big for the apartment.

Needless to say, there are a lot of animals in need of homes here and cats are far less popular than dogs, making it even harder to find homes for them.

So in February I decided I was ready to bring a new buddy into my life. Gabi and I both decided we would become foster moms and headed out to Nabiya Cat Shelter, a wonderful nonprofit organization that’s sole purpose is helping cats and finding homes for them.

We got there and were welcomed in by one of the volunteers. She let us look around to pick out a cat to foster. Now I had been looking at several cats but one stood out to me. Not only was he smart (I watched him use his teeth to grip the rim and remove a metal lid off a food canister) but he was also twice the size of all the other cats. The girl told me that his owner had gotten cancer and the family had to get rid of him. She also told me that it was difficult find a place for him because most people thought he was too big for his apartment (Which doesn’t surprise me, he could probably eat half the “dogs” I see here in Korea).

I was still looking around a bit when I bent over to pet the oversized ball of sunshine. It was then that he got up on his hind legs, wrapped his arms around my neck and nuzzled his face under my chin.

That did it right there. I didn’t need to pick a cat because a cat had been the one to pick me!


Gabi too found a new special someone for her apartment: A black and white boy who was missing an eye due to a serious infection as a kitten and therefore, had been at the shelter for quite some time because people wouldn’t adopt him.


 After finding a carrier big enough for my new buddy (not an easy feat) I strapped him onto my shoulder and we headed off with our cats in tow.

My cat, now named Sunny, was the perfect passenger. He laid down in his carrier, chilled out and never made a sound. Gabi, however, was not so lucky. Uyu, her cat’s name, cried and cried the entire trip. Poor thing. However, we both made it home and we were now foster moms!!

It wasn’t the easiest start with Sunny. He hid behind my refrigerator for the first three days and wouldn’t come out. Then when he finally did come out he would wake me up at 3am meowing and crying at the top of his lungs.

But after we got used to each other (and a couple of late night squirts from a water gun) we quickly became best buds.
Sunny is the most affectionate, loving cat I have ever met and he has been the perfect companion for me throughout my time here in Korea. I really don’t know if I would have made it through the homesickness if it hadn’t been for him and I love coming home each day to a big happy fur ball. What can I say, animal lover through and through.

I am now happy to say that I am in the process of going from a foster mom to an adoptive mom. With my looming return date back to America, the thought of leaving Sunny behind was just too much to bear.



So yup, now he is my Korean baby and I love him to pieces! I really think it was one of the best decisions I made here in Korea and after seeing how many cats that were in just that one cat shelter, I’m glad that I could help, even if it was just one cat.


If you too are interested in becoming a foster parent, adopter or a volunteer at a cat shelter please look into Nabiya Cat Shelter


Contact Info
Email:
Website:
Cellphone # (Allie)010-2228-1008 / (Ju) 010 2412 3141
Location:
Seobinggo(near Noksapyeong or Itaewon)
Seoul, South Korea


                             T&S
                                           K.C.


Labels: , edit post
3 Responses
  1. love it!! so cute!!!! ^^ all the pics are amazing too! hehehe! i have a feeling i'll be adoption coco pretty soon... he's becoming just as affectionate as sunny! hahaha he was batting at my face the other day but in that cute "claws not attacking" but having fun kind of way... hugging me and just playing around while i was watching something on my computer! hahahaha! it was adorable!


  2. Unknown Says:

    Thanks for the great post, Kelsey! When I heard about Nabiya but realized my sweetie and I weren't in a place where we could have a cat, I decided to do a fundraiser for Nabiya so that people in our situation could help out too. It's at Stompers in Seoul's Itaewon on Friday, Oct 22. Three hot bands, admission by donation, and it all goes to two shelters: Nabiya and Jeju Dogs (who also have cats).


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.