Kelcclay

One of the hardest parts of my job is constantly having to say goodbye. Not only do students come and go, but your coworkers are constantly leaving. Since I arrived here, I have had to say goodbye to 5 coworkers over a span of 8 months. When you think about it, that’s a lot! I’m not very good with goodbyes anyways. However, I’ve gotten more used to it and the next one leaving is ME! lol.


Anyways, Orla, one of my coworkers was getting ready to leave and go to grad school, so the weekend before she was to leave all of the coworkers headed out for a fun night.

We started out the night with all you can eat galbi in Sinchon. What can I say.... it was all you can eat galbi! lol. yummmmmmm. We also had several rounds of soju shots and beer.

I was planning on going home after dinner because I had an early morning appointment. However, I decided to stick around and see what the Hongdae night life is all about.

We then headed over to Hongdae. Now, I’ve been to Hogndae in the daytime, but this was my first time, in 8 months, that I had been to Hongdae at night to party.

We started at the park in Hongdae. We got some beer/KGB at the GS and listened to some music, watched some break dancing and just hung out and talked. It was really fun. I actually had a great conversation about literature! yay!

Then we headed to Orla’s favorite bar, the Hoe Bar by the park. There I had an “amaretto sour.” I use the quotation marks because it wasn’t really an amaretto sour. It was all amaretto and grenadine. ew. It was really sickeningly sweet. We got an extra one from the waiter so Derek, Orla and I decided it would be a good idea to stick our straws into it and slurp it down as fast as possible. Talk about sugar overload! lol!

After the Hoe Bar we headed to Orla’s favorite dance club, club Q.Vo. It was really fun! It costs 15,000won to get in, but you get a free drink card when you pay. So we head in and Orla gets us all Long Island Ice Teas... Now I’m already feeling pretty good from the soju, KGB and amaretto sours but by the time I drink the long island ice tea, I’m feeling pretty far gone. Then somehow I get stuck with another long island ice tea. I drink that down and I’m definitely gone.

Now anyone who knows me knows I don’t like clubs and I don’t like dancing. In fact, when I got there I was annoyed from people constantly running into me and kept myself up against the bar to try and stay out of the way. BUT, after that last long island ice tea I became a dancing machine. I didn’t say GOOD dancing, just dancing. lol. Orla and I headed out into the crowd and found some people to dance with. I danced with a couple of guys, made some new friends and had a blast!! Like I said, I was pretty gone. lol. I didn’t even mind having random people dancing up against me. It was like I did a 180. lol.

We finally headed out about 5:30 in the morning and I got to bed around 7.

It was such a blast! I plan to go back to Hongdae to party again. I do NOT, however, plan to take in that much alcohol ever ever again. lol. It was not easy getting up and heading out to the 7 hour long SM town concert the next morning... lol.
So overall, my first encounter with Hongdae nightlife was very good! I didn’t include all the details (some details remain a mystery to me too. lol) but I think you get the idea!

K.C.

The only proof of my crazy night, now long washed away.

0 Responses